The main purpose of this scheme is to certify the genetic authenticity and identity of the rice seed varieties produced. This scheme is provided for the production of legal paddy seeds by appointed producers only. Lots of seeds certified to meet the standards will be labeled quality certification blue for legal rice seeds and light purple for registered rice seeds.
Classification of Seed Categories in the Process of Legal Paddy Seed Production
- Basic Seeds : Basic seeds are progeny from the cultivation of breed seeds whose production is controlled according to certain procedures to ensure the level of genetic purity and certified to meet the set standards. Basic seeds are produced by the Malaysian Agricultural Research and Development Institute (MARDI).
- Registered Seeds : Registered seeds are progeny from the cultivation of basic seeds whose production is controlled according to certain procedures to ensure the level of genetic authenticity and certified to meet the standards set under the Department of Agriculture Malaysia Standards (SJPM - 2009).
- Legitimate Seeds : Legitimate seeds are progeny from the cultivation of registered seeds whose production is controlled according to the procedures of the Paddy Seed Certification Scheme and Standards of the Department of Agriculture Malaysia (SJPM - 2009) to ensure the level of genetic authenticity and certified to meet the set standards.
Important Elements In The Production Of Legal Paddy Seeds
- Nurseries and seed farms : Meet the distance of isolation and site perfection.
- Certified seed category source : Planting from a legitimate source. Proof of seed source is required.
- Farm inspection : Farm inspection is carried out in four stages, namely pre-planting, pruning, flowering and pre-harvest. It aims to ensure that the varieties grown according to the characteristics of the varieties and meet the farm standards as stipulated in the Standards document of the Department of Agriculture Malaysia SJPM - 2009.
- Inspection of paddy seed processing plant : Paddy seed processing plant must be clean and free from any contamination or mixing of varieties.
- Seed quality test : Three types of tests conducted, namely physical authenticity test, humidity and germination aims to determine whether the paddy seeds that have been processed meet the minimum standards of seeds as stipulated in the Department of Agriculture Malaysia SJPM - 2009 Standard document.
- Store and stock inspection : Only certified rice seeds are offered for sale. Lots of rice seeds must be in good condition, orderly and easy to detect.
- Quality certification label : Seed lots that meet the standard have a set of seed quality certification labels.